Friday, September 4, 2009

Summer in Cincinnati

This will be my last Post in this Blog about American culture because I'll leave Cincinnati on Sunday to spend one week in New York City. Today I'll reflect on my experiences in this program.
I think that I passed through all the different stages of culture shock during this program, and I got to know many things about the American culture and American English. Beginning with architecture and history, and ending with Health Care and Religion I learned many things about the United States. I knew that there are many differences between Germany and the U.S. but I thought they would be not as big. During my journey many years ago, as I was a child, it was a totally different view on the country because I had a look at the tourist spots only, so I didn't get to know so many things about the culture, except of the food and architecture. I got to know so many things about American culture, and so I think I got over culture shock. Talking English with native speakers increased my English definitively. It's a very good point that I wrote this blog in which I described my feelings, experiences, and conclusions, so I got better in writing, describing, and concluding in English. The program was arranged very well by my Professors. It was well balanced between nice free-time activities like canoeing, and interesting learning activities like going to the Freedom Center. I think it was a very good program to learn many things about the American culture. This program helped me to decide whether to study in the United States because I learned so many things about this culture, and because I got to know so many things about the U.S. in general, and my decision is that I do want to study here!
The thing that changed for me the most is my view on the relationship between the people and the government. In Germany the government helps and supports people very much. In the U.S. everybody has to take care for himself. I like this attitude more because we are all free people and we should care for ourselves. Although the government should help the people sometimes like with a general public health care system.
Finally I want to thank Debbie, Ruth, and Jody for their effort and work. It was just a great time here in Cincinnati, Ohio. Thank you for the nice summer!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sebastian,

    It was nice to meet you during these three weeks in Cincinnati. I hope you enjoy your vacation in New York. Good luck with your future studies.

    ReplyDelete